In this post, you will see the investments on Windows 10 Unifiied Update Platform (Windows 10 UUP). This post is the second one of this series of posts about Windows 10 Updates. These information are shared by Suma SaganeGowda & Steve Diacetis in the MS Ignite session. More details about Ignite session below.
- Windows Updates Ramblings SSU WUA UUP CU WaaS SCCM Many More
- Windows 10 1909 Deployment Enhancement Enablement Package
- Windows 10 Update Investments Numbers Scale Post 1
- Unified Update Platform Windows 10 UUP Content Streamline Post 2 (this post)
Microsoft is aware of the fact that IT Pros are confused with Windows 10 update content sources. Microsoft is trying to streamline the Windows 10 update content mechanism. Following are the different types of content in Windows 10 update.
Core Windows 10 OS content is divided into three(3) parts as you can see below:
- Core OS Bits
- Feature Updates
- Base Media
- Fixes for Successful Feature Updates
- Setup & Compact bug fixes
- WinRE fixes
- Quality Updates
- LCU (Cumulative Update)
- SSU (Service Stack Updates)
- Feature Updates
Windows 10 Extra Content is explained below:
- Features on Demand (FoD)
- Language Packs
- Language packs (LPs)
- Local Experience Packs (LXPs)
- OEM Driver Updates/Fixes
NOTE! – I have a post to explain the difference between Windows 10 terminologies like SSU, WUA, UUP, and LCU.
What is Unified update platform (UUP)
Unified Update Platform (UUP) is one shop stop for all your Windows 10 Update content. UUP is available for Windows Business for Update (Intune) and coming soon for SCCM and WSUS (On-prem).
- Windows Updates – UUP Enabled by default
- Windows Update for Business (Intune) – UUP Enabled by default in a controlled manner
- WSUS/SCCM – Enables you to get Only Approved Quality Updates (Coming Soon)
Feature Enhancements with Unified Update Platform
- Unified update platform (UUP) – This UUP Microsoft answer to streamline Windows 10 Update content and it is one shop stop for all your Windows Update content.
- Feature update
- Quality update (LCU)
- Preserve language packs & Features on Demand (FoD)
- Available for Windows 10 1809 or later
UUP with Intune (Windows Update for Business)
As I mentioned above UUP is already enabled for Intune as part Windows Update for Business feature. Following are the capabilities that you can leverage within Intune (Microsoft Endpoint Manager Intune).
- Available – UUP Controls for Intune (Windows Update for Business)
- Deployment timing (Deferral, deadlines)
- Set active hours and scan Frequency
- Deployment Management – Pause, Uninstall
- Coming Soon (Preview Capabilities)
- Feature Update Controls – Choose a version and stay put?
- Expedite Quality Updates
- Co-management – Driver and quality updates only from Windows Update for Business
UUP for SCCM & WSUS
UUP support for SCCM and WSUS are in private preview. Public preview and GA details are given below.
- UUP On-Prem
- works with SCCM and WSUS
- Enables you to get only approved quality updates
- Availability of UUP on-Prem SCCM/WSUS
- Private Preview: NOW
- Public Preview: Early 2020
- Release:Some time in the year 2020 (CY- Calendar year)
Media Media Upgrades IPU (Task Sequence – Dynamic Updates)
Media update content is another type of Windows 10 update content which Microsoft want to produce for some scenarios like
- Bare metal
NOTE! – I have explained more about Windows 10 dynamic update in the previous post called “Basics of Windows Dynamic Update Explained Update Management.”
- Media Upgrades with Task Sequence – Dynamic Updates
- Dynamic Updates (content not on the media)
- Makes it easier for setup to complete successfully
- Enables you to get current and secure in one step
- Ensures FoDs and LPs are preserved
- Requires Internet Connectivity
- Disable just LCU and/or Drivers
- Can download separately and patch media – I have post which explains more details about Windows 10 Dynamic Updates
Session – Windows 10 UUP
Make the Windows update experience smooth and seamless for your IT team and your end users. More details https://myignite.techcommunity.microsoft.com/sessions/81684
- Windows 10 Bandwidth Management DO Delivery Optimization with LEDBAT in LAN?
- SCCM and Microsoft Connected Cache Integration to Help with Bandwidth Issues
- Microsoft Connected Cache Container Instances in Azure
- Basics of Windows Dynamic Update Explained Update Management