Let’s learn about Intune Exam MD 102 Study Guide Starter Kit – Microsoft Intune Certification. We will cover the Study guide for Exam MD-102: Endpoint Administrator Associate as shared on 2nd Feb 2023 via YouTube Video.
Microsoft Intune Certification and what are the changes coming to Microsoft Intune Certification or exams? Let’s look into the latest changes in Intune exams or Intune certification, and we will also look into the learning path change from the technology to the job profile. We will also cover the cost of Intune Certification.
In this post, we cover the study guide created to assist you in preparing for your upcoming Exam. It provides an overview of the topics likely to be covered on the Exam and directs you toward additional resources to aid your preparation. The Latest Intune training is carefully designed for self-study – Intune Training Course 2023.
By utilizing the information and materials provided in this post, you can focus your studies and increase your chances of success on the Exam. Let’s discuss the Intune Certification or Exams. This post will cover the Retirement of Intune Exams, Rename of Exam Certifications, Costs for New Exams, and the Syllabus for Exams.
Free Intune LAB Setup
If you want to set up Intune LAB for free, here is the section that will help you. Also, this lab setup is going to help you with the preparation of Intune Exam MD-102. There is a post and video on the lab setup topic shared by HTMD Community.
- More Details – Free Intune Trial Tenant Forever | Renewable Intune Tenant with 25 Microsoft E5 Licenses for Free
The following video tutorial is going to help you with setting up Microsoft Intune free LAB Forever. There are some tips and tricks to keep the Intune LAB forever. As part of this setup, you will get 25 Microdsoft E5 licenses. You can easily access Intune, Azure AD, Exchange Online, etc. You can easily do Intune end-to-end testing.
Intune Exam MD 102 Study Guide Starter Kit – Microsoft Intune Certification
Previously the certification paths were based on each Microsoft Technical product, such as Intune, ConfigMgr, System Center, etc. With the new changes, the certification path is evolved to the next level.
Now the certification path is changed based on the Job roles; this will help IT Admins. The job role-based Certification makes more sense in the cloud, and ever-changing technologies will evolve further and migrate to modern cloud-native solutions.
Note! – Microsoft is updating its Microsoft 365 certification portfolio. It is a kind of Consolidating, announcing New beta Exams, and getting more Aligned with modern workplace scenarios. Consolidation, Retirement, New Beta Exams, and Tightly Aligned are the main 4 pillars of New certification portfolio updates.
Intune Certification Changes
Let’s get into the details of the latest certification announcements from Microsoft. MD 100 and MD 101 are the latest certifications. MD 100 is the Windows Client certification which is the basic Certification. And MD 101 is the Managing Modern Desktop Certification, an advanced kind of Certification.
- Microsoft is combining these 2 certifications and creating a New certificate called MD 102.
- The previous MD Exams are retiring, and MD 100 and MD 101 are retiring by July 2023.
- Microsoft is changing the name of the Certification. It was Modern Desktop Administrator Associates. Now it is changed to Microsoft 365 Certified: Endpoint Administrator Associate.
- The Retirement dates for the old certifications are July 2023. As Per the latest Microsoft announcements, the Beta Exams will be available for MD-102 by May 2023.
|Certification Name Changes||New/Old||Exam Code||Retirement Date||Beta Exam|
|Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate||Old||MD 100 & MD 101||July 2023|
|Microsoft 365 Certified: Endpoint Administrator Associate.||New||MD 102||NA||May 2023|
Intune Certification Fees
The below window shows the 3 examples of fees for Intune Certification. The Beta exam fee for the United States is 165 USD, the United Kingdom is 113 GBP, and for India, it is 4800 INR.
Syllabus – How the Skills are Measured for the New MD 102 Exam
Let’s discuss the Syllabus of the Endpoint Administrator Associate ie MD 102, and how the skills are measured for the New MD 102 Exam Intune Administrators or Modern Endpoint Administrators. Audience profiles, as per Microsoft, as a lot of details.
Candidates taking this Exam are expected to possess a high level of proficiency in various aspects of Microsoft 365 environments, including the deployment, configuration, management, protection, and monitoring of devices and client applications.
- Microsoft Intune, Windows 365, Windows Autopilot, Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, and Azure Active Directory all these technologies will be covered in this Exam. You will expect questions related to this technology.
- Candidates for this Exam have experience with Azure AD and Microsoft 365 technologies, including Intune. They must have strong skills and experience in deploying, configuring, and maintaining Windows clients and non-Windows devices.
- Deploy Windows client (25–30%)
- Manage identity and compliance (15–20%)
- Manage, maintain, and protect devices (40–45%)
- Manage applications (10–15%)
Note! – The New Intune Certification support both Windows and non-Windows, which is the main reason for changing the name to Microsoft 365 Certified: Endpoint Administrator Associate. The New Intune Certification includes not only desktops but also all the other platforms.
If you are interested to know about Windows clients and Non-Windows devices read the post – Intune Design Decisions Free Training | Version 1 Starter Kit | Basic. It includes a set of Intune Design Decisions videos.
Percentage-wise Syllabus for Intune Exam MD 102
Manage, maintain, and protect devices that are going to give you (40–45%) coverage. This is the vast and important area that you need to concentrate on. Deploy Windows client cover 25-30%, Managing identity and compliance cover 15-20%, and finally, Managing applications cover 10-15%.
- The below table shows the priority-wise syllabus
|1st Priority||Manage, maintain, and protect devices (40–45%)|
|2nd Priority||Deploy Windows client (25–30%)|
|3rd Priority||Manage identity and compliance (15–20%)|
|4th Priority||Manage applications (10–15%)|
Study Guide for Intune Exam MD-102
Microsoft provided a study guide for Exam MD-102: Endpoint Administrator, it is available online. The study guide explains how to earn the Certification, the certification renewal process, Your Microsoft Learn profile, Passing score, Exam sandbox, Request accommodations, etc.
- A score of 700 or greater is required to pass the Exam. Exam sandbox helps you to practice for the Exam.
1st Priority – Manage, Maintain, and Protect Devices (40–45%)
Manage the device lifecycle in Intune includes the Configure enrollment settings, configuring automatic and bulk enrollment, including Windows, Apple, and Android, Configure policy sets, and Restart, retire, or wipe devices.
In this section let’s discuss the following topics. Manage the device lifecycle in Intune.
- Configure enrollment settings
- Configure automatic and bulk enrollment, including Windows, Apple, and Android
Configure policy sets – Policy sets – Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Learn
Intune Device Life Cycle Management details are given below.
- Restart, retire, or wipe devices – Overview of the Microsoft Intune MDM lifecycle | Microsoft Learn
Let’s look into Manage device configuration for all supported device platforms by using Intune topics for the MD-102 Intune exam.
You can have quick look at the below-linked video to get an idea about the options to create Intune Configuration Profiles and different types of Configuration profiles.
Implementing Intune configuration profiles with an example of renaming the Guest account name is explained in the below video with troubleshooting steps.
- The video linked below explains how to configure and troubleshoot the Intune configuration profiles.
Latest Intune Troubleshooting Strategies | Fix Intune Policy Conflicts | Methods IT Admins -Helpdesk.
Intune Filter rules are the best option to assign the configuration policies in an effective manner. Intune Assignment Filters Decoded | Associated Assignments | AAD Groups Vs Filters – Part 1.
- Configure and implement profiles on Android devices, including fully managed, dedicated, corporate-owned, and work profile
- iOS/PadOS – Custom Settings
- macOS – Custom Settings
- Plan and implement Microsoft Tunnel for Intune
Intune Monitoring and Reporting Strategic Options | Types of Reports | Custom Reports | Workbooks are explained in the below section and video. Microsoft Intune reports – Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Learn.
- Monitor devices
- Use audit logs to track and monitor events in Microsoft Intune.
- Monitor devices by using Azure Monitor – Send log data to storage, event hubs, or log analytics in Intune.
- Analyze and respond to issues identified in Endpoint Analytics and Adoption Score.
- Collect Intune Logs from Intune Diagnostic Data
- Intune Logs Event IDs IME Logs Details for Windows Client Side Troubleshooting
- Intune Audit Logs Track Who Created Updated Device Compliance Policy
Let’s learn about Managing device updates for all supported device platforms by using Intune.
- Plan for device updates
Let’s check out the below documentation and video to get more details on Windows, iOS, and Android update options. Intune Patch Management Methods for Windows iOS iPadOS macOS.
- Create and manage update policies by using Intune
- Manage Android updates by using configuration profiles
- Manage iOS/iPadOS software update policies in Intune
Let’s learn about Intune Automatic Patching mechanism for Windows devices called Windows Autopatch. Video tutorial for Windows Autopatch Decoded | Azure AD Groups – Configuration Policies created and managed by Service.
Let’s now check how to monitor the updates using Windows Update for Business reports and other monitoring options in Intune. WUfB Reports Service Full Overview | Intune Patching Report | WUfB Deployment Service #msintune.
- Monitor updates
- Windows Update for Business Reports
- Troubleshoot updates in Intune
- Configure Windows client delivery optimization by using Intune
- Create and manage update rings by using Intune
Let’s learn the MD-102 Intune exam to Implement endpoint protection for all supported device platforms. Intune Security Baseline Decoded Easiest option to set up security policies for your organization.
- Implement and manage security baselines in Intune
Create and manage configuration policies for Endpoint security, including antivirus, encryption, firewall, endpoint detection and response (EDR), and attack surface reduction (ASR)
- Intune Endpoint Security Policies
- Manage endpoint security in Microsoft Intune
- Antivirus Policy and How to Configure macOS Antivirus Policy Using Intune
- Disk encryption policy
- Firewall policy
Let’s learn how to Onboard devices to Defender for Endpoint for Intune Exam MD-102.
- Use Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
- Deploy Microsoft Defender for macOS using Intune
- Turn on Cloud Protection for Windows 11 Microsoft Defender Using Intune
- Configure Microsoft Defender SmartScreen Using Intune
- Intune Security Baseline Microsoft Defender Policy Troubleshooting Tips for Cloud PCs
Implement automated response capabilities in Defender for Endpoint. Review and respond to device issues identified in the Microsoft Defender Vulnerability Management dashboard.
2nd Priority – Deploy Windows client (25–30%)
Prepare for a Windows client deployment includes Selecting a deployment tool based on requirements, Choosing between migration and rebuild, Choosing an imaging and/or provisioning strategy, Selecting a Windows edition based on requirements, Implement subscription-based activation.
- Select a deployment tool based on requirements
- Choose between migrate and rebuild
- Choose an imaging and/or provisioning strategy
- Select a Windows edition based on requirements
- Implement subscription-based activation
Let’s learn to Plan and implement a Windows client deployment by using Windows Autopilot for Intune exam MD-102. Let’s have a quick Overview of Windows Autopilot. Also, learn how to make a Decision-Making Tree Decide Windows Autopilot Profile Types.
- Create, validate, and assign deployment profiles
- Set up the Enrollment Status Page (ESP)
- Deploy Windows devices by using Autopilot
- Troubleshoot an Autopilot deployment
- Configure device registration for Autopilot
Happy Autopiloting 🙂 Bonus tip: Windows 10/11 Autopilot deployment process PDF can be downloaded from the link. You can download the Windows Autopilot Deployment Flowchart prepared by Michael Niehaus.
Let’s learn to Plan and implement a Windows client deployment by using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) for Intune Exam MD-102.
- Plan and implement an MDT deployment infrastructure
- Create, manage, and deploy images
- Monitor and troubleshoot a deployment
- Plan and configure user state migration
Let’s learn Configure remote management for Intune Exam MD-102. There are different options in Intune to support the remote management of devices.
- Configure Remote Help in Intune
- Configure Remote Desktop on a Windows client
- Configure the Windows Admin Center
- Configure PowerShell remoting and Windows Remote Management (WinRM)
3rd Priority – Manage identity and compliance (15–20%)
Manage identity includes implementing user authentication on Windows devices, including Windows Hello for Business, passwordless, and tokens, and Managing role-based access control (RBAC) for Intune.
- Implement user authentication on Windows devices, including Windows Hello for Business, passwordless, and tokens.
- Manage role-based access control (RBAC) for Intune.
This video will explain Intune RBAC Strategic Options | Role-Based Access Controls | Scope Groups | Intune Objects | Roles.
Let’s now learn about Managing identities for Intune exam MD-102. Azure AD is the single point of identity for Microsoft Intune, and it’s integrated with Intune for the deployment of apps, policies, etc.
- Register devices to Azure AD
Azure AD Registered for BYO (Personal)– Devices registered to Azure AD without requiring an organizational account to sign into the device. The users can log in with their personal Microsoft ID or local to Windows 11 or Windows 10 devices.
- Azure AD Joined Devices
- Implement the Intune Connector for Active Directory
- Manage the membership of local groups on Windows devices
- Implement and manage Local Administrative Passwords Solution (LAPS) for Azure AD
- Azure AD LAPs – Cloud LAPs – Microsoft Cloud LAPS Password Management Solution.
- Get started with Windows LAPS and Azure Active Directory
Azure AD Join Process and Intune Auto Enrollment for Windows 11 | Licensing Details | Manual Provisioning process explained in this video! The example given is using the settings app of Windows 11.
Let’s learn about Implementing compliance policies for all supported device platforms by using Intune for Intune Exam MD-102. Check the details of the device compliance settings for the different device platforms:
- Android device administrator
- Android Enterprise
- Android Open Source Project (AOSP)
- Windows Holographic for Business
- Windows 8.1 and later
You can refer to Device compliance policies in Microsoft Intune for more details on this Intune Compliance policy topic.
- Specify compliance policies to meet requirements
- Implement compliance policies
- Implement Conditional Access policies that require a compliance status
- Manage notifications for compliance policies
- Monitor device compliance
- Troubleshoot compliance policies
4th Priority – Manage applications (10–15%)
As part of the Intune Exam MD-102 syllabus, you must learn how to Deploy and update apps for all supported device platforms, including the Deploy apps by using Intune, Configure Microsoft 365 Apps deployment by the Microsoft Office Deployment Tool or Office Customization Tool, etc.
- Deploy apps by using Intune – Deploy Microsoft 365 Apps by using Intune
- Configure Microsoft 365 Apps deployment by using the Microsoft Office Deployment Tool or Office Customization Tool (OCT)
- Manage Microsoft 365 Apps by using the Microsoft 365 Apps admin center
- Configure policies for Office apps by using Group Policy or Intune
- Deploy apps to platform-specific app stores by using Intune
In this video, you will get the Supported Intune Application Types details. This video also explains about Limitations of each app type and Important Considerations while making Intune Design Decisions.
In this section, let’s learn about the planning and implementation of Intune app protection and app configuration policies for Intune Exam MD-102.
- Plan and implement app protection policies for iOS and Android
- Manage app protection policies
- Implement Conditional Access policies for app protection policies
- Plan and implement app configuration policies for managed apps and managed devices
- Manage app configuration policies
About Author – Vidya is a computer enthusiast. She is here to share quick tips and tricks with Windows 11 or Windows 10 users. She loves writing on Windows 11 and related technologies. She is also keen to find solutions to and write about day-to-day tech problems.